St Margaret’s Church
St Margaret’s Church is a well-loved Grade II Listed building. Built on the site of a 1516 church, the existing building was built in 1834. There are strong connections to William Hutton, the first Historian of Birmingham who bought the neighbouring Ward End Hall. There is an unusual memorial to William Hutton inside the church and also two fine examples of Burne-Jones stained glass, entitled Charity and Good Shepherd. Sadly the building was closed as a church in 2005 due to falling numbers and the building fell into a poor state of repair.
Brief Description of Works:
Messenger was awarded the contract for the full schedule of works to enable the regeneration of St Margaret’s. The restoration, repair and alteration works undertaken include; repairs to the external walls, the roof, the windows and doors etc. The relocation of stained glass windows, general internal repairs and the repair and restoration of a number of existing monuments. Aside from the conservation related repairs and restoration, the works also provided for the formation of a new first floor area providing office space, a disabled toilet and a new kitchenette. Further works included the installation of a new staircase and platform lift as well as a number of bespoke timber and glazed screens.
Project Value: £700k
Client: St Margaret’s Community Trust
Contract period: 11 months
Completion: September 2014