Country House Bedfordshire

The original much larger 1560 manor house was demolished in 1745, leaving only the service wing intact. Much of the remaining 16th Century fabric was subsequently widely extended and remodelled throughout the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, including use as offices for a significant part of the 20th Century. In the 1970s a former owner returned the property to domestic occupation, with particular efforts focused on the reinstatement of the gardens.

Project Summary

Following the original contractor regrettably falling into administration, Messenger was awarded the contract to continue the renovation, alterations and extension of the house and ancillary buildings.

Messenger was awarded the contract to provide a new basement; to fully re-service the house with new heating, plumbing and electrical works throughout and to provide a new lift to serve all floors.

The scope grew to include a contemporary triple height atrium with a glazed roof over a central courtyard as well as a contemporary ‘glass box’ conservatory.

Other works include fitted joinery, bespoke bathrooms, poured resin floors throughout, refurbishment of ancillary wings for staff and guest accommodation.

Client:

Private

Architect:

Smallwoods

Duration:

78 weeks

Completion:

Summer 2017

Value:

£8.3m

Share:

Share on email
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin