Situated opposite the main gates to the Holkham Walled Gardens, the Samuel Wyatt Vinery was built to house a collection of vines, exotic flowers and fruit trees for the Coke of Norfolk (1st Earl, 2nd Creation). Built in 1890’s, the vinery was part of a wider phase of buildings, all designed by the architect Samuel Wyatt, who imposed his architectural style onto many agricultural buildings around the estate.
Messenger was awarded the contract to restore the vinery which included a complete re-roof of both the north ranges and south glasshouse.
The rooms to the north were lime plastered and limewashed, while all joinery elements were painted with linseed paint. Sustainability was a key theme through this project, using natural linseed paints and conserving as much of the original timberwork as possible using detailed splices.
The glasshouse to the south was comprised of 20 rafters and 115 windows which were all stripped, repaired and repainted. The windows were glazed using linseed oil putty and 9000 stainless tacks.
The fanlight window, which sits above the portico, was carefully restored by conservators who stabilised the fragile iron frame and made new lead motifs. It was glazed using P1 restoration glass.
R H Partnership Architects
Collyweston Heritage CentreMain Road, CollywestonStamford, PE9 3PQ
Collyweston Heritage CentreMain Road, CollywestonStamfordPE9 3PQ
firstname.lastname@example.org 239 800
Connect with Us