Situated on a high rock, Nottingham Castle commands spectacular views over the city. In the Middle Ages, it was a major royal fortress and occasional royal residence. The Duke of Newcastle built a mansion on the site after it had been largely demolished in 1649. Today, the castle is open as an art gallery and museum.
Messenger was instructed as a subcontractor to G F Tomlinson on this particular project, tasked with carrying out the external masonry works to the Ducal Palace and Gate House.
The redeveloped site includes a new visitors centre and remodelling of the grounds, as well as new Robin Hood and Rebellion galleries to tell the story of the city’s outlaw and history of rebellion.
Nottingham City Council