Crowland has an extensive and colourful history. The greater part of the building dates from the early 12th Century, with the remaining ruined West Front dating from 1117. The Abbey has one of the country’s finest West Fronts with 12th Century statuary carved from Barnack stone.
Messenger was awarded the contract to complete sensitive conservation repairs to the ruined West Nave and East End walling. This encompassed paint research, statue conservation, stone replacement, bird deterrent systems and mortar works using ‘Hot Lime’.
During the works, Messenger hosted a most successful ‘Hot Lime’ lecture, followed by a demonstration of hot lime slaking and application. This was complemented on the day by delivery of a brief lecture from paint research specialist Karen Morrissey, regarding her works on the Crowland Abbey project.
Crowland Abbey PCC
Anderson and Glenn