St John the Evangelist
Grade II Listed St John the Evangelist, was built in 1838 at the very beginning of Queen Victoria’s reign, originally to provide for the mining community that had grown in the area. The building is of grey sandstone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of nave, west porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and one bell. There is an interesting east window from the period, but also recent stained glass which depicts the past mining and industrial heritage and the present day National Forest era.
Brief Description of Works:
Messenger was awarded the contract for the carpentry works and replacement of the slate roof coverings to both the nave and chancel roof including all associated leadwork. Also alterations were carried out to improve the nave to tower access, including the installation of a bespoke door and new foot boards. Further works included stonework and masonry repairs and re-pointing to the tower and eastern cross, including insertion of Helibars as required, as well as the fixing and decoration of new cast iron rainwater goods to both roofs. St John’s has been fortunate to benefit from Heritage Lottery Funding towards these works.
Client: Parochial Church Council of St John the Evangelist
Duration: 18 weeks
Completion: April 2015