St Botolph’s Church
St. Botolph’s Church, often known as ‘Boston Stump’, is spectacular from outside and in and is described by Pevsner as a ‘giant among English Parish churches’. Boston Stump has always been a landmark to both seafarers and people travelling across the flat fenland that surrounds the town.
Replacing an earlier Norman church, construction of the present building commenced in 1309 at the east end and was completed by 1390, apart from the tower. The tower construction was started in 1425-1430 but not completed until 1510-1520. The Chancel was originally only designed to be three bays long but was lengthened by two additional bays to the east, possibly because of the growing importance of commercial and religious life of the town.
Brief Description of Works:
Messenger was awarded the contract for the demolition of the stonemasons shed on the south side of the church tower and the construction of new boiler room and associated lobby. The works also included the relocation of boiler plant from a temporary container into the new boiler room.
Client: PCC of the Ecclesiastical Parish of Boston
Completion: September 2016