Mount St Bernard Abbey
Mount Saint Bernard Abbey was founded in 1835 on land provided by Ambrose de Lisle, who was eager to re-introduce monastic life into this country. The first monastery was opened in 1837, designed by William Railton; however, the then 16th Earl of Shrewsbury gave a donation for a permanent monastery to be built. The most famous architect of the Gothic Revival, Augustus Welby Pugin offered his services for free and in 1844 the new monastery was opened on the site where it still stands today. In 1848 Mount Saint Bernard was raised to the status of an Abbey and is now Grade II Listed.
Brief Description of Works:
Messenger was awarded the contract for the full refurbishment of a number of rooms for monks in need of care. The works included the internal re-organisation to provide fully tiled en-suite easy access wet rooms, complete overhaul of plumbing and electrics, supply and installation of bespoke cabinetry and joinery, removal of existing flooring, new metal windows, re-laying of engineered oak and all associated decorations.
Client: Order of Cistercians of the Strict Observance
Duration: 30 weeks
Completion: May 2015