Mill Road Cemetery – former Chapel outline project
The original Victorian Chapel completed in 1858, was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott. This stood in the centre of Mill Road Cemetery until it became unsafe and demolished in the 1954.
Brief Description of Works:
Messenger was awarded the contract to reveal the former Chapels outline and bed hand carved York Stone to identify this. Following an archaeological survey, the project commenced and the Chapel outline was created. The stones were carved with various inscriptions local to the cemetery and its history. The Cordelia Gothic font was a bespoke design, named after Cordelia Whewell who is buried in the cemetery. Her husband William (of Trinity College) was a generous benefactor of the Chapel. This project benefitted from Heritage Lottery Funding.
Client: Cambridge City Council and Friends of Mill Road Cemetery
Duration: 8 weeks
Completion: November 2016